July 11, 2017 by Virginia James
Summers are for family BBQs! While my family always has carne asada cookouts, I like to bring my own meal into the mix -for myself and to share with everyone. This mock-chicken (or ‘chikin’) meal is just the thing!
Side note: If you are cooking vegan on the same BBQ as others who are cooking with animal products, cook over a small sheet of aluminum foil, or bring it to your gathering already prepared.
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp. agave nectar
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped (or 4 tsp. Garlic Powder)
1 serrano chile or jalapeo pepper, minced
1 chipotle chile, in adobo
Pepper, to taste
1/4 tsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. cilantro, minced
1 lb. mock chicken or seitan (I like Gardein’s Gluten Free Chik’n Scallopini)
• Preheat the grill.
• In a food processor or blender, pure lime juice, Agave, garlic, serrano chile or jalapeo pepper, chipotle chili, pepper, and cornstarch.
• Transfer the mixture to a medium-sized sauce pan and boil until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in the cilantro.
• Brush the “chicken” lightly with the glaze. (I like to poke holes into the “chicken” with a toothpick or fork so that the glaze can really soak in).
• Grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, turning once. Just before removing the “chicken” from the grill, baste with the remaining glaze.
• Remove from the grill, top with Pico De Gallo or chimmichurri sauce, and serve.
Lookout for more summer recipes coming your way!