November 23, 2016 by Virginia James
Nothing goes best with a cruelty-free holiday roast better than some soft dinner rolls. Slice them in half and stuff them with whatever you’d like to make some adorable tiny sandwiches. But wait, how do we vegan-ize this? It’s actually simple considering many dinner roll recipes that are similar to pizza dough are already vegan! So toast to the best cruelty-free holiday dinner you’ll have all year round and enjoy these lovely vegan dinner rolls! 🙂
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 packet (2 1/4 tsp) rapid rise yeast
- 2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter + more for topping
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl (or small saucepan over medium heat), microwave the water, almond milk and butter until warm – about 110 – 120 degrees (~55 seconds). It should be the temperature of bath water. If it’s too hot, it can kill the yeast.
- Add wet to the dry ingredients and whisk or beat for 2 minutes, scraping sides as needed.
- Add 1/4 cup more flour and beat for another 2 minutes. Then, add only enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Then let rest 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces, shape into balls, and place in a greased 8×8 dish or 8-inch round pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size – about 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and brush the tops with additional melted vegan butter (optional). Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until fluffy and light golden brown.
- Serve immediately as is, or with vegan butter and jam of choice, such as Orange Thyme.
This recipe is modified from Allrecipes.com to fit vegan needs