November 22, 2016 by Virginia James
Every sweet tooth in your family will love this casserole recipe. Sweet Potatoes or Yams can be used in so many ways, and since they’re in season, I love to include them as often as I can. From Sweet potato crispy fries, to Sweet potato tacos, to tons of desserts, you can never go wrong with the versatile flavors this root will give you.
Sweet Potato Casserole
For the sweet potato mash:
- 4 1/2 to 5 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 to 5 large)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
For the Crunchy Nut Crumble:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/3 cups pecan halves, chopped
- 1/3 cup almond meal or almond flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 2 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Peel and roughly chop sweet potatoes into large chunks. Place into a large pot and cover with water. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to medium-high, and gently boil for 10 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 2 1/2-quart (10-cup) casserole dish and set aside.
- Prepare the crumble topping: Pulse the oats in a food processor until coarsely chopped. In a medium bowl, stir together the chopped pecans, oats, almond meal,flour, cinnamon, and salt. Pour on melted coconut oil, melted butter, and maple syrup. Stir until combined.
- Once cooked and drained, place sweet potatoes into a large bowl.
- Mash potatoes with the butter and coconut oil until smooth. Now, stir in the maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Adjust to taste if desired. Spoon into casserole dish and smooth out.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping all over the sweet potato mixture, evenly.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375°F for 16 to 23 minutes, until the dish is hot throughout. Plate and serve immediately with a pat of vegan butter or coconut oil.
This recipe is modified from Oh she Glows!