April 12, 2016 by Virginia James
What is the best way to make healthy cookies? This is pretty much my go-to when I want to make a quick vegan dessert that I can snack on as much as I want. All you need is bananas and oats! No added sugar or butter… making this dessert, Barbell Gal approved!
Note on your bananas: Always aim for the ripest bananas you can get your hands on. -Not just when baking, but always! We get some added natural sweetness when we aim for spotty, riper bananas. The riper the banana, the easier it is for your tummy to digest it; Greener bananas tend to cause constipation in our intricate digestive system, so let’s nourish our tummies the best we can!
- 2 Large, Ripe Bananas
- 2 Cups of Oats
- [Optional: Dark Chocolate chips, raisins, chopped walnuts, etc.]
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F.
- Place 2 bananas in a bowl and mash them until they liquefy.
- Mix in the oats and fold with a fork until well blended.
- Lastly, add any additional items you like such as dark chocolate.
- Using a Tablespoon, drop spoonfuls of cookie mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. [Note: for crunchier cookies, try and create flattened discs of the cookie batter when dropping onto baking sheet]
- Bake for 12-16 minutes, or leave in longer for more crunch.
- Allow 10 minutes to cool and serve!
Voila! you’ve got the healthiest, yummy cookies you could make:
These cookies are awesome to make for gatherings, potlucks, and parties. I like to make a big batch by tripling the recipe (6 bananas, 6 cups oats), and just keep them in tupperware in the fridge. Whenever I feel I need to snack on something, or pack to take with me, I can just reach for that container and grab some cookies! Just keep in mind, these babies need to be eaten within a week of being baked, and left-overs do better in the fridge. But trust me, these cookies won’t last very long anyway!
~Virginia James, The Barbell Gal