March 8, 2016 by Virginia James
There’s nothing my boyfriend and I enjoy more than a nice homemade cake! Lemon poppy seed is our favorite, so I decided to work on creating a completely vegan-ized version of our favorite.
I’m not sure why many people think vegan cakes will turn out disgusting. Why is that? they still have the sweetness and moistness of any other cake out there! The only difference I could think of is that it is more filling. Other than that, it is definitely our go-to when we have friends over, or when we decide to take a dessert to a family potluck. We never say it’s vegan, and it’s always a hit.
- 2 2/3 Cups Flour
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup Applesauce
- 3 Lemons
- 1 1/4 Cups Almond Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Poppy Seeds
- 3 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease inside if your cake tin(s) and lightly dust with flour.
- Zest two of the lemons and then juice all three in a separate bowl.
- Mix the Almond milk with lemon juice. Stir and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds.
- Go back to your zest and add sugar and oil to the mixture. Cream until fluffy and well-combined.
- Add in applesauce and Vanilla extract to the sugar mix until well combined and then add in the almond milk mixture.
- Fold in the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients until well-combined.
- Pour into prepared baking tin(s), and bake for 35-45 minutes.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes and enjoy.
Notes: Bake time will vary depending on how you’re prepping your cake.
- For 2 9″ cake pans: bake time is 30-35 minutes.
- For 1 Bundt cake pan: bake time is 45-50 minutes.
- For Muffins or cupcakes: bake time is 35-40 minutes
Make it your own
Change it up any which way you’d like:
- Use soy milk or cashew milk instead.
- Instead of Coconut Oil, use Avocado Oil, Vegetable oil, or melted vegan butter
- Instead of half a cup applesauce, blend half of a banana and toss it in!
- Instead of regular flour, use oat flour, coconut flour or whole wheat flour (pictured below):
I hope you enjoy this delicious, cruelty-free cake as much as we do!